Saturday, August 19, 2006

Summer bike rides



While I was riding out to Ajigasawa on Tuesday I saw this small field of yellow flowers planted behind a convenience store along the road. I stopped for some water and a couple of shots.

Grief is a unusual thing. Until the flowers I'd had my mind focused on the heat and the mountain in the background. But I couldn't help but think how my dad would've appreciated those flowers, so I stood there for a while and gave them a double dose of appreciation. One for him and one for me.

I've been enjoying this summer a lot, but at the same time hating it. There have been lots of sunny days when I've gone out to the beach and done stuff, but also days when I've had nothing to do but sit in my wretchedly humid apartment waiting to go to work. I can't sleep past 8 o'clock in the morning due to the humidity, even with a fan perched right over me. And I'm not very good with air conditioning either, so the office doesn't exactly give me much respite. Not to worry, September'll be here quick enough and I know some good places where I can overdose on cool fresh air.