Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Hello again. It's Tuesday morning here in Japan and I'm at work right now. Again, I'm sat in the office doing very little, and I'm probably going to be doing this for the rest of the day.
I went skiing again yesterday, but apart from that there's not much else to say. The visibility was really good, so I did a couple of runs down one of the courses that I usually avoid (waizawa). It was really good because nobody had been down there since the most recent snowfall, so there were no tracks in the snow. It wasn't a 'classic Hakkouda powder' day, (that is, with chest high powder snow), but it was knee high in places. It was really quiet as well and my boots didn't start hurting until the third run. I did this one jump off a snow bank on Waizawa that had been formed by strong wind. It looked like a wave in the sea from behind, and I couldn't see what was on the other side. I thought it would be fine so I jumped it and dropped fifteen feet into a tree well (wells form around trees where the snow can't get to, about 1 metre wide usually). I was very lucky not to break anything, and when I looked around to see how far I had fallen, I really had to tilt my neck because it was so high. I laughed about it though, and about the fact that I had gotten off scott free from another encounter with difficult terrain.
Wednesday is up on the weather forecast with a 90% chance of precipitation, and on Thursday it's 80%. This means more heavy snow before the weekend!!
Last night, Akiko came around and we watched this programme about the bottom of the sea. Did you know that there are columns on the sea bed that blow out black smoke? Amazing stuff. I also did a load of laundry and had a shower and other mundane stuff like that.

P.S. Sorry to be talkin' bout snow all the time folks. It's jus' there's a lot of it here right now...