Wednesday, February 18, 2004

This morning I've just arrived at the office to find that the heater has been switched on already and that there is a nasty smell lingering that only I seem to be uncomfortable with. I know that all I have to do is wait until all the teachers go to their classes before I can open up the windows, switch off the heaters and get rid of that nasty lingering smell, so I won't get angry today like I did yesterday.

It's snowing today, quite heavily. It wasn't forcasted, but there was a few inches on the floor when I woke up today and it's still coming down at quite a rate. I'm looking forward to this weekend when I'll be going up into the mountains in my new snow shoes. I probably shouldn't sound so confident because there is bound to be a problem with the fitting or purchasing of them, as there is with any kind of shoe for me here in Japan.
Here is a link to the kind of shoe I will be buying.

Aki came around after work last night and I made some Yaki udon (fried noodles) and she made miso soup. She didn't finish work until 7 o'clock, but neither did I. I had English club until fairly late last night it took me half an hour to walk back home. I walk to and from school everyday these days, which is about an hours walking everyday. Regardless of this, I am still two or three kilos heavier than my lowest weight since coming to Japan. My lowest is about 87 kilos, but now I'm roughly 90. Still a good 10 kilos less than what I weighed before I came here though.

At English club we watched 'Fight Club' with Brad Pitt and David Fincher. The students; two light-weight ichi-nensei kids, were a bit troubled by the film. Especially the bits in the basement where the guys were fist-fighting to the brink of death. When the film finished I took the projector back and, like any responsible teacher, warned the kids to be careful of strangers on the way home. hee, hee, hee....

I have one class today, which is in the afternoon. Apart from that I have to mark papers for other teachers and generally do the work that their levels of professionalism cannot manage. here's to another day in the office!