Thursday, September 02, 2004

Wot Went Wong Wobbo?



Here's something I didn't expect to see. I mean, I don't really keep a keen, keen eye on what goes on at St. James' Park whilst I'm out of the country, but the dismissal of manager Sir Bobby Robson really surprised me. I'm not into football like most others are. I don't like to follow the season step by step, worrying about transfers and line-ups for each game etc. But this tickled me because I've always supported Newcastle for reasons outside the competition. Admittedly, they have had periods of starlight success and they've had their fair share of foreign players showing off their skills and all, but what I like most about Newcastle United is the characters. Take old Tino for example. What the hell might he be doing now? I don't know, but when he played for Newcastle he was a chip off the old block. He was fast, agile and most of all he was a character. This is what the editor of sporting-heroes.net has to say about old Tino:

"Often appearing disinterested during games, 'Tino' Asprilla regularly lurched from the sublime to the ridiculous; possessing seemingly rubber legs he could devastate defenders with his skill or fall over attempting a simple pass."

Those back flips were only the tip of the iceberg in my opinion. And then there was old Beardsley, a man brimming with charm and character and style. The names could be reeled off, but my main point is this: Robbo, we'll miss your smile old boy.



And for all those Everton supporters out there who are grieving the loss of the superstar, wonderkid Looney Rooney, well, you can always start supporting Man United, can't you. No, seriously, it's only like an hour from Liverpool or something like that. It's no problem at all. If I wanted to see him I'd have to fly back from Japan, so think yourselves lucky!!

I've just got back from a nice little kip I had in the teachers room on the tatami carpet. Like I've said before on this blog, it's one of the perks of the job at this place. I mean, I really don't know why they bother to employ me full time if they are happy with the fact that I've got time to sleep on the job. It stumps me. The first thing I did today was a class where I put up a slideshow of my photos from England using a projector in the multi-media room. It kind of flopped because I had to close all the windows to stop the blinds from flapping and letting in light, which made it all hot and stuffy so the kids eventually fell asleep. In fact I felt like sleeping as well. It is really hot today though. It must still be the warm air brought up by the typhoon or something. Anyway, before I went to the class I checked my photos on my photo/slideshow programme and they have all disappeared. I still have the originals on my hard drive, but I can't find them in the slideshow programme. The slideshow that I wanted to do for the kids I saved onto disk anyway, so that wasn't a problem, it's just that now I can't look at most of the photos I've taken this past month on my convenient little slideshow programme.

I sent off my application for the Japanese proficiency test today, so I'm off to study a bit of kanji now.