Monday, April 11, 2005

The Big Brick Building



It ocurred to me today as I was walking to school that only in a town like Hirosaki, with a general absence of brick buildings could you describe something's location as 'near the big brick building'. Maybe there are towns and cities all over the world where brick buildings are sparse, but coming from Lincoln, England a lack of brick on the architectural skyline is quite a novelty for me. It's what makes a place seem more foreign, I suppose. If you described the location of something in Lincoln as being 'near the big brick building' you'd be no use to the recipient of that information at all. I suppose it was the same in Israel and Australia when I was out there, I just didn't pay attention.



Anyway, this is Hirosaki's brick building, and it seems to be getting readied right now for the on-coming art exhibition this summer. A guy called Nara Yoshitomo, who actually graduated from my school, will be exhibiting his works for the public to enjoy just as he did nearly three years ago when I first arrived here. He's quite a famous artist.



In my personal opinion, I don't really take to his artwork on account of it being too farty. The sculptures and installations weren't too bad though.

So, that's pretty much all there is to say about the brick building, except that seeing it kind of makes me want to spend more time among the red brick architecture back home. Thing is, if I were back in England among all the nice brick buildings I'd only be whining about the lack of mountains.