Friday, April 22, 2005

Titanium for sale



If anybody would like to buy an 8 inch piece of titanium, circular, and about a centimetre thick, please let me know. I've just had one taken out of my arm and I'm at a loss as what to do with it.

If anybody asked me what I'll remember most about this visit to Hirosaki Memorial Hospital, I'd have to say it was the wires and pipes. I woke up last night with wires all over the place. I had three wires stuck to my chest (one right next to my left teat), two pipes pumping air into bags wrapped around my feet, one pipe stuck into my arm with a drip connected to it and my arm all bandaged up, covered in cooler bottles. I felt like I'd just been in a car crash.



Above, the three wires to make sure I'm still alive.



The foot pumps, to keep my blood circulation steady. These crazy things went on through the night, and I kept having dreams of dogs licking my feet.



The drip. Four bags of gooey stuff. Standard procedure in Japanese hospitals from what I can gather.



All wrapped up in safety measures.



Just before the valium knocked me out for good. I don't remember much after this, apart from telling the doctor how much I liked his shoes, then it was all a blur.

All went reasonably well until, of course, I got to the reception desk downstairs and found that the original quote for the operation had grown by 25%. I could kind of see it coming though, and after a bit of huffing and puffing on the way home I came to the conclusion that there is nothing I can do but comply. Such is Japan without the ability to speak fluent Japanese. I just hope I can get a good price for that titanium though.