Friday, January 16, 2004

He he he, I was so bored last night I started downloading "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars". Earlier I downloaded "Screamadelica" by the Primal Scream, a favourite of mine when I was about 18 yrs old. I'm going to burn it onto disk and listen to it in the car. Akiko came around earlier on last night, but left after a short stint of moderate nooky because she had been invited to eat 'Yakitori' (chicken kebabs) with her colleagues. She came back after an hour or two though for some top rate nooky before lights out!!!
Hopefully, if finances hold out, we're both going to Ajigasawa on Sunday and I'm going to give Aki some skiing guidance. She's skiied before, but I don't think she's a pro or anything. I don't know though, she might surprise me.
Something else that I've been spending time on lately is a bit of research into my post-Japan travels. At some point this year I need to get a new passport from the embassy in Tokyo, but that shouldn't be too much hassle. I'm looking into maximum visa allowments for China, Mongolia and Russia, the three main countries on my return trip home. I'm gonna be heading back by land and sea, you see. I can get a ferry from Osaka to Shanghai, and from there I will go West into the Chinese interior. I have no time limits apart from visa restrictions, so I may stay for up to six weeks in China if it's possible. I think I can stay for one month in Mongolia, which should give me enough time to get the feel of things there, but Russia is the stickler, with a maximum of three weeks if my understanding is correct. This may all be false, and I'm going to organise things in Beijing if I can. Perhaps even in Ulaan Baatar. I will be riding the trans-Siberian express from Beijing to Moscow, then catching a train to St. Petersburg. From there I will probably spend short periods of time in the Nordic countries, just passing through and catching ferries etc. There is a train between St. Petersburg and Helsinki, which looks like the best option, and from there I can choose the cheapest and most convenient ways to get to the West Norwegian coastline. I'd like to spend a bit of time in Scotland as well, before heading back down to blighty. Just in time for xmas I think.

Phew! Just about managed to consolidate all of that into twenty or so lines, but I think before I leave I'll need to write up an extremely extensive guide, related to what I want to do, taken from sources on the internet and elsewhere. I don't think that there is one single travel book that would cover my aspirations, so independent research is a must. I've still got another year and a half before I leave this place anyway, so maybe I'm just getting hyped about it all too soon. I do have a lot of time on my hands though.

It's Friday today, which means that it's Friday night tonight, but as I mentioned in my last post I have no money for booze and such like so I'll be taking it easy tonight. Unless, that is, Akiko brings round a surprise bottle of something at some point. She's not a real big drinker so I doubt she will.
Anyway, look after yourselves and look after the others around you. If everybody in the world did this, we wouldn't have the arms trade, fighting, poverty, famine, epidemic disease or anything!!
Long live the revolution!!!!!!