Thursday, May 13, 2004

This is an article that I found on the New York Times webpage. It's about Japanese people not being able to come to terms with foreigners in their country. By the way, this week there was a burgalry in Hirosaki and one man was killed. The wife of the murdered man said that she saw two Asian men of non-Japanese origin fleeing from the crime scene. I, for one, have met very few Asian looking men of non-Japanese origin (apart from Hugh and the other Asian looking guys on JET etc.) since I came here to this city. It's funny that those who are here are criminals, don't you think. Also, last night I was at English club (just in case you were wondering, I'm now thinking very seriously of giving it the push) and Saori and Mihoko were talking about the Phillipino girls who work on Kaji machi. Nothing explicitly discriminatory was said, but I just got sick of the sentiment of those women towards other Asian immigrants in Japan. They did nothing but bitch about their inability to speak Japanese (what about half of the JET programme), and they tried to gratify themselves by coming to the conclusion that they were here to profit from the immense riches of Japanese society. And if the crime rate does have anything to do with the immigrants from Asian countries, I'm not in the slightest bit surprised. It must be so damn difficult to get a job in this country if you are not Japanese, even if you can speak Japanese. I know I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a native English speaker.

Anyway, here's the article

article