Thursday, September 16, 2004

Blue skies for the third year in a row

Today my school had it's annual sports day at Hirosaki Exercise Park. (that's a translation). And yet again, for the third year in a row, the weather presented itself in fantastic form. I just knew it would. The weather each year for the sports day is always good. I don't know why. Anyway, I won't bore you with details about 'what the kids at my school did today' kind of stuff. I'll bore you with some photos instead. This is what never ceases to kill me about Japan:



No, this isn't a dance class, it's what I call the 'ich, ni, san, shi routine' The exercises that people here insist on doing, and that remind most westerners of 7.45 AM in a Japanese factory. They love doing it though, and it can't do them any harm. I dropped out of the routine this year and decided to take piccies instead.

Some wierd game they were playing where they hit each other on the head:



Kid with a flag:



There was a drinking party after, and I went to that. The food was good, but the conversation got a bit heavy after a while. They were two nice guys, but, like most Japanese people, they soon got carried away with the topic and forgot the limits of my understanding in their language. The topic was the fusion between Shinto and Buddhist traditions in Japan. Yeah right buddy. As if I've got a clue what you're talking about!! I had a good excuse to leave early though, which was Japanese class. I think I got out just before Majima sensei was going to begin his explication of the 16th century Shinto rifts.

Tadah!