Thursday, September 09, 2004

The Olympics, at Dai Ni Yougo Gakkou

Today I went on one of my lucky escapes, formally referred to as business trips, to the school of Dai ni Yougo. It was a special school where all the kids had pretty severe physical handicaps. Basically, I was pushing kids around in wheelchairs all day. I had a good time though, and the main activity of the day was a special Athens Olympics event where all the kids had to launch empty pop bottles from home made catapults. Like this:



They all did really well, though not as well as me of course. I got the highest score, yeah!! I did some other stuff as well, but spent most of the day in Koucho sensei's office talking about his son and daughter who now live in England. Before I left, however, they asked me to croon one of the school's old classics; See You, See You.

The lyrics go a little like this:

See you, see you, see you again,
See you, see you, see you again,
It's time to say goodbye.
See you, see you, see you again,
See you, see you, see you again,
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.


I didn't make such a bad job of it either. What with old Franky Shintaro stroking his keys behind me, we put smiles on everyone's faces.



All the kids were good fun to be with, but overall I have a favourite. His name is Kenta, and I remember him clearly from the last visit I made there. He reminds me of Dr. Evil's Mini Me because he's always doing stuff with his fingers in front of his mouth. This is a picture of the kid who couldn't stop smiling: