Monday, July 04, 2005

A move towards people

I'd like to be able to say that I'm sick of photographing mountains now, but I'm not. These days though, I have to tell you that each time I go up on Iwaki I find it very difficult to shoot a part of the mountain that I haven't shot before. I still enjoy getting it out up there though, especially when nobody's around. The camera, that is. I've decided, however, that it's time I shifted my general focus to a different subject; I think it's time I started doing a bit more portraiture.



Not very good at having my portrait taken, let alone taking it myself.

Portraits used to be my strong point at school. Old folks were always the easiest subjects for an interesting image. With black and white film it was easy to process the images so that they came out looking a lot more wrinkly than in real life. With the right kind of film and exposure combination, and a few extra seconds of light in the dark room, you could achieve a level of contrast that would make a 65 year old look at least 80. Of course, you shouldn't tell elderly people that before you photograph them. They often don't appreciate seeing the finished picture either.

Anyway, more of that stuff to come. In the mean time, here's this year's crop of the purple flower that only grows on Iwaki. Or at least that's what they tell me. If anybody out there has seen this very same flower growing on any mountain other than Iwaki, please let me know.





Without too much haze, the mountain's got his hat on. In fact, it's got a bit cooler this week than last so the haze has partially disappeared as well.



Here's an interesting fact: Did you know that last week's heat wave was responsible for the deaths of up to 400 people in East Asia? Conveniently ignored by the press? Not worth reporting anyway? Sounds fishy to me.