Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Wow, another really boring day, and I'm glad that it's nearly over. Saying that, I have had one class to teach, and I did spend some time outdoors when I fetched the DVD for English club. Oh yeah, and I had a quick kip in the tatami room in the afternoon.

It's funny, because when I return to England the first thing I'm going to ask at Job interviews is whether I get a ciesta or not. And I'll be pissed off if I don't, that's for sure!! The film that I've decided to show at tonight's English club is a rip off of the original "Italian Job". It's such a rip off that they even decided to use the same name - "The Italian Job". I've seen it already though, and I thought it was pretty funny so the students should like it.

There has been a lot of heavy breathing in the office today. If I haven't already mentioned it, this is one of the things I've noticed most about the Japanese. It's mainly the men, but women are also guilty of it from time to time. Men like to do it after taking a sip of coffee or some other drink - the exaggerated sound of the act of drinking something, supposedly being hard work. Therefore Japanese men feel the need to make a kind of *dirty old man* noise after every sip of something.

If you ever get to see any Japanese dramas you might notice the same habits from the actors in them. Both the men and the women tend to speak in very much like a whisper all the time (this is largely because the theme of most Japanese dramas is hardship, similar to the soap operas in England actually) as matters discussed are always of a serious nature. The end of every line is turned into a whisper and the throat is used to produce the sound. This, as you can imagine, makes for some pretty bad breath among the Japanese. Along with the food that the teachers eat, which I have to say is loads nicer than English cuisine, there be some real stinkers in this office. And that is why I have had to open the window today on several occasions.

The temperature in this office doesn't really change that much ffrom season to season. In the summer, when temperatures reach well over thirty degrees naturally, the office is as hot as hell. And during the winter, when the temperature plummets below freezing, the office is artificially heated to what feels like well over thirty degrees. The only thing is that the artificial heat is so stuffy it makes me feel a little bit sick sometimes. I have had to leave the office twice already today because it has been intolerable.

Anyway, I've got to go now because school has finished and English club beckons. I'll probably continue with my thoughts on the Japanese at a later date.