Monday, June 21, 2004

The First Real Hot one

I don't know about anyone else, but for me today marked the start of the sweaty season. For the next three months we here in Japan are going to have to put up with high temperatures accompanied by 100% humidity. I actually get a bit of a kick from it when I'm at home relaxing, wearing shorts and nothing else, but when I've got to sit in an office wearing courdroys and a shirt it's just too much.

Also today, I witnessed one of the funniest things ever. One of the teachers here at the first year desk complex has a cough that seems to come on every summer. It seems to be a result of the humidity, but then again I wouldn't know cos I'm not a doctor. Anyway, she has had the same cough for the last three summers and it is very noticable. So she was coughing away this morning and, as if in sympathy, the woman sitting next to her started producing this really, really fake and pathetic cough that was more of an embarrasment than anything else. It was as if the woman sat next to her didn't want her to feel left out because of her poor health or something like that. Anyway, I had to leave the room and releive myself of the urge to laugh. I know it was bad of me because the woman with the cough is suffering, but come on!! If it happens again I'm going to break wind really loudly, turn to the women and explain in a sincere tone of empathy, that a dreadful medical condition has left me with a chronic lack of control over my bowels. Then we can all bond together knowing that we are all afflicted with medical conditions in one form or another.

Maybe not. Oh well, I'm going to the tatami room for a quick snooze now. Laters.